Saturday, October 2, 2010

Battle of the Burgers


From now on this day shall just be referred to as "A slice of Burger Heaven". I had been looking forward to the Battle of the Burgers
since I first heard about it a few months ago. What could be better? A fund raising event where you are surrounded by hamburgers! As I was headed for the park I saw an angry mob with signs a few blocks away picketing about better conditions for farm animals or something and all I could think was "those cows sure are tasty".
I was lined up waiting, along with a really long line of other people before
the gates even opened. Once they finally let us in, I rushed in with anticipation, not sure what to expect. Everywhere I looked big clouds of smoke were rising off the lil dome grills and I didn't know where to start first. Since I was an early arrival I was able to hit 10 booths in the first hour before my stomach started to complain about too much deliciousness. Since the place had really filled up I spent the next hour walking around re-examining all the booths and waiting in line for another bite and a delicious shake (I figured it could fill in around the nooks and crannies).
I really tried hard to sample all 15 hamburger offerings. Alas, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. I managed a meager 11 burger delicacies before I threw in the towel. Of the 4 I skipped, 2 I had already been to: Farm Burger and Grindhouse Killer Burgers and 2 sounded not as appealing : shrimp/grits stuffed burgers and PB&J burgers (pimiento cheese, bacon & tomato jam). I tried to give away my extra sampling coupons but everyone I talked to was completely stuffed. Hopefully they were able to raise enough money that they will make this an annual tradition!
Burger Heaven Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment